Engineering Manager // // PermanentJob Reference: J0012639
Job Title: Engineering Manager
Main Function / purpose of Job:
• Managerial control of the product engineering and design activity, assuring most appropriate application of both staff and contract resources toward a timely and cost-effective product design outcome.
• The position requires a highly experienced and capable engineering professional who also excels in project management and business development, thorough and dedicated, with a goal focused attitude, confident at working at all levels, in diverse cultures and disciplines.
-Comply with general company policies and procedures.
• Engineering/Design Deliverables
-Responsible for producing robust, competitive and cost-effective design and engineering solutions for the project(s) under the assigned scope.
-Actively develops and pursues rigorous change control processes to ensure evolving designs remain aligned with commercial status
-Ensure that all engineering-related program/APQP requirements are satisfied in a timely manner.
-Assures a product development within the company targets: piece price, capex, tooling costs, quality and timing.
-Seeks corporate lessons learned from previous products/launches and ensures learning is combined into future designs.
• Build the Team:
-Determine the skills and resource levels required for delivery and pursue recruitment activities (staff or contract as required) to populate the team(s) a required.
• One Company:
-Pursue a participative, cross-functional approach to product delivery. Continuously liaise with relevant contacts in other company functions and promote the same behaviour in reports. This includes, but is not limited to, Commercial, Programme Management, Tooling, BoM/Change Co-ordination, Finance, Operations and HR.
-Assures active participation of his direct reports in the program Development Team (PDT) process.
-Maintains a close working relationship with other Engineering Managers to ensure common approaches and practices.
-Always behaves in the best interests of the company and engenders the same behaviour in reports.
• Manage the Budget:
-Direct responsibility for engineering budget (internal and external) for projects under the assigned scope.
-Indirect/contributory responsibility for overall departmental budget.
• Act as the main customer interface/escalation point for all engineering projects under the assigned scope.
• Supervise engineering/design personnel both directly hired and contracted.
• Manage staff members as required including interviewing, hiring, performance evaluation and conducting disciplinary actions for staff within its responsibility.
• Provide quote input for all engineering changes, internally/externally generated.
• Determine and apply the most appropriate and cost-effective resources necessary for successful programs.
• Drive generation of company design rules and Best Practices to reflect company technical lessons learned
• Assure that direct reports drive following activities:
-Design respecting the customer styling, technical requirements and specifications.
-Design for assembly, in liaison with company Operations.
-Design for manufacture, in liaison with company Tooling and Operations.
-Rigorous virtual analysis prior to tooling KO (Computer Aided Engineering).
-Thorough use of Dimensional Variation Analysis (DVA).
-Diligent and prompt adherence to change control process.
• Drives cost estimates in relation to product and process changes and liaise with Operations, Sales, and PM to ensure all recoverable costs are specified in the quotation.
• Develop departmental engineering activities regarding improved technology, cost efficiency and market competition.
• Support TVM/VAVE activities as required.
• Support the quotation process for new RFQs, developing (and assisting the negotiation of) Engineering Design & Testing (ED&T) profiles as required.
• With the assistance of Business Manager, lead the customer negotiation of ED&T proposals to achieve agreement within company metrics.
• Ensures that the PDP process is followed to ensure ED&T (and corresponding cash flow) is approved prior to commitment of company funds.
Preferred Education & Experiences to fulfil role (essential & desirable)
• Bachelor’s degree in design or engineering or equivalent job-related experience.
• 7 years related experience, preferably in automotive body design.
• Prior management or leadership experience.
• Cradle to Grave project experience including process and tool maturation and program launch.
• Demonstrated excellent management and interpersonal skills.
• In-depth knowledge of company product and manufacturing processes.
• Working knowledge of: GD&T, DFM, DFA, CAE/FEA, CAD, FMEA, DVP&R.
• Fluent English.
• Flexible to support projects at various locations in Europe.
• Recruitment Consultant Gary Masser
• Tel: 02476446940