Junior Cost Engineer Wolverhampton // £33 to £35 per hour // ContractJob Reference: J0012638
Job Title: Junior Cost Engineer
Rate: From £33.00 to £35.00 per Hour Ltd Co.
• The Junior Cost Engineer will support the Lead Cost Engineer for all project cost control, cost monitoring and cost reporting activities on nominated projects.
• The Junior Cost Engineer will also perform cost management activities on nominated contracts (as directed by Lead Cost Engineer) for 80% of their time and will own all artefacts (e.g. Project Cost Control Tool (PCCT), Cost Reports etc on behalf of the Lead Cost Engineer/ Project Manager, working closely with the project team to accurately reported progress and costs.
• Critically, the Junior Cost Engineer will ensure that forecasts data/costs/resources reflect realistic delivery are within budget.
• In addition, the Junior Cost Engineer will support the function/ all projects in producing routine weekly/ monthly cost reports and support the wider project controls teams (planners and cost engineers) in general project controls support tasks for c. 15% of the time.
• The 5% balance of the Junior Cost Engineers time will cover attending Project Control Forums and supporting the Lead Cost Engineer in improvement measures
Key Activities / Decision Areas
• Central Cost Engineering Activities and Line Management
-Produce routine weekly/ monthly cost reports and support the wider project controls teams e.g. weekly project reports and functional productivity report
-Support other functions (e.g. support the preparation of the annual R&D Tax Claim or overtime approval logs) on ad hoc requests
• Nominated Live Projects:
-Support Lead Cost Engineer in establishing the first PCCT, obtaining full approval/ buy-in from project trinity/ client enabling first project budget with the correct resources, budgets and timescales as estimated/ agreed
-Support Lead Cost Engineer for project dashboards to be rolled on; issue a calling notice to all inputters with clear deadlines in accordance with project controls reporting cycle and ensure all inputters complete their inputs in a timely manner (1 working day prior to the Monthly Project Reviews)
-Obtain cost updates from IBS and issue standard weekly cost reports
-Complete a full bottom up forecast update on a monthly basis utilising the standard PCCT tool; ensure profiles are based on latest P6 Progressed Schedule; hold formalised forecast reviews (budget holders + final FCAC review with project Trinity); provide outputs to planner to update final FCAC in P6 and ensure it is correct
-Update of actuals and remaining labour (man-hours) and non-labour (subcontract, COTs procurement, expense and sundry) costs in PCCT
-Undertake a Value of Work Done (VOWD) assessment on all live outsourced work, with a particular emphasis on major subcontracts
-Production of timely and accurate internal (e.g. project dashboard and weekly cost reports) and external (client prescribed) cost reports with comparisons of actual costs expended versus budget and forecast and describe any variances therein
-Perform Earned Value & Resource Demand analyses
-Ensure the project budgets in the PCCT, Cost Reports etc. are updated following approval of variations.
-Exposure to Risk & Opportunity process and reporting of Best Case, Most Likely and Worst-Case scenarios in project dashboard
-On reimbursable/ target cost/ framework (open book) contracts, produce detailed payment applications for submission to the client.
-On all contracts, act as the point of contact with the client to process approved payment applications from the client, ensuring finance raise the sales invoice quickly and the client pays on time and any blockages are resolved quickly
Essential role related knowledge, technical skills, qualifications and experience
• Demonstrate 2-5 years’ experience primarily in cost engineering and with some exposure to planning as well
• Some exposure/ experience using Primavera P6 software
• Familiar with Earned Value Analysis (EVA)
• Familiar with project management principles and processes
• Minimum HNC/HND in engineering/ business/ relevant subject
• Good data manipulation skills, particularly within MS Excel
• Varied IT skills & experience (Microsoft, Outlook, P6, MSP, numerical, analytical and organisational skills
• Good spoken and written English
• Qualified to graduate level in an engineering or similar based degree (desirable)
• 2-5 years’ experience in project delivery (preferably Nuclear Industry but also Rail, Highways, Power, Oil & Gas, Pharmaceuticals)
• Focuses on the customer- Works co-operatively with customers and stakeholders (internal and external) in order to meet and exceed their expectations
• Collaborates and Shares Knowledge- Seeks to create collective success through teamwork, knowledge sharing and mutual support
• Delivers Results/ Focuses on Solution - Plans what needs to be delivered and then focuses on making it happen
• Build Teams - Brings together the right people, in the right place at the right time to deliver
• Adapts to change - Is able to respond positively to individual or organisational change.
• Acts with Integrity and Professionalism - Demonstrates trust and integrity in their day to day working
• Holds Self & Others to Account - Sets clear performance objectives for self, monitoring progress and taking appropriate action to ensure delivery
• Has a Global Approach - Has a flexible approach to different situations, promoting information flow and integration with all corporate units. Works in international environments through adaption and cross-cultural management and integration.
• People Development - Considers and driven to develop themselves within their own professional job family and within a multi-disciplinary environment. Identifying learning needs and formulating consistent development plans with line manager.
Excellent package and opportunity. Call Rachel Adams NOW on 07810 000924 or apply online.