Junior/Mid-level Chassis Systems Concept Engineer // £45,000 per year // PermanentJob Reference: J0012568
Job Title: Junior/Mid-level Chassis Systems Concept Engineer (Perm)
• To provide the concept definition for new chassis systems including but not limited to mounts, links, knuckles, springs, dampers and steering systems into new and existing vehicles/platforms.
• To provide tuning, development and sign off expertise with regards to the aforementioned when required.
• For AE Delivery projects (A4-A1 gateways) & Pre A4 advanced technical development & innovation
• Responsible for delivery of chassis system concepts from first principles for new and existing vehicle projects/Architectures
• CATIA V5 3D & 2D CAD creation with appropriate data management and release.
• Responsible for development of specific system strategy for the business, which is likely to include rationalisation of existing concepts plus development of new strategies going forward
• Ensure that concepts are optimised and balanced to meet the best targets for the project;
-Performance - including kinematics and simulation
-Cost & Quality
-System functionality and performance
-Ease of manufacture
• Engage stakeholders and customers where necessary to resolve issues and progress the delivery
• Component design, development and test to optimise chassis performance
• Lead and support in new research projects and assist with aspects such as Design Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
• Procurement of parts, liaison with prototype manufacturers & external suppliers to ensure timely support of the project gateways/timings
• Develop global relationships with AE Chassis & Chassis department in Asia to promote global working – leverage services from these departments where skills/resources are not available in the UK
• Prioritising and managing personal workload to ensure objectives and timing are met
Skills and Knowledge Required:
• Specific Technical job skills required:
-Excellent CAD skills – CATIA V5, ability to use kinematics, able to develop chassis axle concepts from first principles, taking advise from chassis technical experts where required
-Full capability to operate in Team Centre environment and use Vis-Mock-up tools
-Capability in parametric tools to enhance quality and improve efficiency
-Strong detailed technical knowledge of front and rear axle systems, ability to assess strengths/weaknesses of options and provide recommendations for use within a vehicle architecture
-Understanding of technical aspects of systems/component development (e.g. DFMEA’s, DVP, Materials, Finish specifications)
-Capability and experience to understand chassis system effects on BIW and associated load path and structural performance
-Understanding of basic vehicle dynamics and how the axle systems will affect overall vehicle dynamics
-Ability to lead CAD based system reviews/live presentations using CAD data
-Full understanding of the Architecture Development Process and Global Vehicle Development Process
-Technical capability to understand and determine future trends and requirements and report system strategies to the business
• Supporting job skills required:
-Ability to lead multi-functional design reviews
-Ability to present reports/CAD data accurately and coherently and at a senior level – Manager/Director – to be able to coach team members
-Ability to lead meetings – specifically internal design/package reviews
-Ability to use negotiation techniques to resolve issues
-Strong analytical and investigative capability
-Ideally Six Sigma Green Belt certified
-Good communication skills, ability to work globally and develop global partnership(s)
-Flexible, committed and motivated to work on more than one vehicle system at a time – ability to motivate team players
-Ability to support business trips (and potentially longer term working) in Asia
-Experience of Supplier / customer interaction
-Good organisational & prioritisation skills
-Proactive and possesses the ability to work by themselves or part of a team.
-Has excellent working knowledge of PC tools Power Point, Word & Excel.
-Degree/HND or equivalent in Mechanical / Motorsport or Automotive Engineering
-Extensive OEM experience, preferably as a member of an OEM chassis team and/or as a member of a Tier 1 chassis supplier
Excellent package and opportunity. Call Rachel Adams NOW on 07810 000924 or apply online.